The Race Nobody Asked For: Why Young India Is Always Afraid of Falling Behind
At 22, someone is earning lakhs. At 24, someone is starting a company. At 26, someone is buying a house. At 28, someone is getting married. And somewhere in the middle of all this, another young person is quietly asking: “Am I already too late?”
We live in an extraordinary age.
A young person in India can learn from the world's best universities without leaving home.
They can build a business from a laptop.
They can work for a global company from a small city.
They can publish a book, create a film, learn a language, build an app or reach millions of people without asking anyone for permission.
The possibilities are enormous.
Yet there is an uncomfortable paradox:
The more possibilities young people see, the more inadequate they can feel about the life they are currently living.
Someone is always ahead.
Someone is younger.
Someone is richer.
Someone is fitter.
Someone is more successful.
Someone has travelled more.
Someone has a better job.
Someone has a relationship.
Someone has started a company.
Someone has already achieved what you thought would take you ten years.
And suddenly, your own life begins to look like a race.
But there is a problem.
You never agreed to enter the race.
The Comparison Machine
For most of human history, people compared themselves primarily with the people around them.
Their neighbours.
Their classmates.
Their colleagues.
Their relatives.
Today, a young Indian can compare themselves with millions of people every day.
Social media has made extraordinary lives visible on an unprecedented scale.
You see the promotion.
Not the years of preparation.
You see the startup funding.
Not the failed businesses before it.
You see the wedding.
Not the years of uncertainty.
You see the six-pack.
Not the months of discipline.
You see the luxury holiday.
Not the financial decisions behind it.
You see the achievement.
You rarely see the full story.
And this creates one of the most dangerous illusions of modern youth:
Other people's highlights begin to look like your own unfinished life.
“Am I Falling Behind?”
This question has become almost universal.
A student thinks:
“Everyone else knows what they want.”
A graduate thinks:
“Everyone else has a job.”
A young professional thinks:
“Everyone else is progressing faster.”
A 30-year-old thinks:
“Maybe I have wasted my twenties.”
But behind the question is usually another question:
“What is the correct timeline for a human life?”
And the uncomfortable answer is:
There isn't one.
India Has a Particularly Powerful Success Script
Indian society has traditionally placed enormous importance on education and achievement.
Study hard.
Get good marks.
Enter a respected profession.
Get a stable job.
Earn well.
Support the family.
Buy a house.
Get married.
Raise children.
Build security.
There is wisdom in this.
For millions of Indian families, education and economic advancement have represented genuine pathways out of poverty and insecurity.
But when a useful social script becomes an unquestioned definition of success, something can go wrong.
A person may achieve everything expected of them and still wonder:
“Why don't I feel fulfilled?”
The New Competition Is Not Just About Money
Young people are no longer competing only for income.
They are competing over lifestyles.
Who has the better body?
Better clothes?
Better relationship?
Better travel photographs?
Better home?
Better career?
Better social circle?
Better personal brand?
Even leisure has become competitive.
Imagine taking a holiday and immediately thinking about how it will look online.
You are no longer simply experiencing the holiday.
You are producing evidence of the holiday.
This is where comparison becomes exhausting.
Because there is no finish line.
There is always someone with:
More followers.
More money.
More achievements.
More experiences.
More recognition.
The Psychology of “Not Enough”
There is a strange phenomenon in modern life:
Achievement does not necessarily eliminate insecurity.
Sometimes it moves the goalpost.
“I'll be happy when I get into this college.”
Then:
“When I get the job.”
Then:
“When I get promoted.”
Then:
“When I earn ₹1 lakh a month.”
Then:
“When I earn ₹5 lakh.”
Then:
“When I buy a house.”
Then:
“When I become financially independent.”
The goal keeps moving.
This is why achievement and fulfilment are not the same thing.
Achievement asks:
“What have I accomplished?”
Fulfilment asks:
“What does my life mean?”
We need both.
But confusing one for the other can produce a very successful form of unhappiness.
The Fear of Being Ordinary
There is another pressure that rarely gets discussed.
Young people increasingly feel that they must be extraordinary.
Not just successful.
Extraordinary.
Build something.
Go viral.
Become an entrepreneur.
Become an influencer.
Change the world.
Become famous.
Create a personal brand.
Make millions before 30.
But here is a question worth asking:
What is wrong with an ordinary life?
A person who teaches children for thirty years.
A nurse who cares for patients.
An engineer who quietly builds useful infrastructure.
A farmer who feeds a community.
A parent who raises compassionate children.
A worker who supports a family honestly.
A volunteer who helps people without ever becoming famous.
None of these lives may become viral.
But they can be deeply meaningful.
Visibility is not the same thing as value.
Your Life Is Not a Startup
One of the strangest influences on modern youth culture is the language of business.
Scale yourself.
Optimize yourself.
Build your brand.
Maximize productivity.
Monetize your skills.
Network.
Growth.
Performance.
Efficiency.
These ideas can be useful professionally.
But human beings are not companies.
You are allowed to rest without producing.
You are allowed to spend time with family without networking.
You are allowed to have hobbies that make no money.
You are allowed to learn something simply because it interests you.
You are allowed to walk without tracking your steps.
You are allowed to read without posting a review.
You are allowed to live without turning every activity into an achievement.
Not everything valuable needs to be optimized.
The Productivity Trap
Young India has also discovered the productivity industry.
Morning routines.
Cold showers.
Habit trackers.
Time blocking.
Deep work.
Five AM clubs.
Notion dashboards.
Pomodoro timers.
Self-improvement videos.
There is nothing inherently wrong with these tools.
Discipline matters.
Time management matters.
Learning matters.
But self-improvement can become another form of self-rejection.
You start with:
“I want to become better.”
And slowly it becomes:
“The person I am today is unacceptable.”
That is a dangerous transition.
Improvement should come from self-respect.
Not self-hatred.
Rest Is Not Laziness
India's young population is entering an increasingly competitive economy.
Work matters.
Skills matter.
Adaptability matters.
But human beings have limits.
The mind needs recovery.
The body needs sleep.
Relationships need time.
Creativity needs space.
Sometimes the most productive thing you can do is stop.
Rest is not always the opposite of ambition.
Sometimes rest is what allows ambition to survive.
A generation that never learns to pause may eventually discover that it has achieved many things but enjoyed very few of them.
The Myth of “By 30”
Perhaps no phrase creates more unnecessary anxiety than:
“By 30…”
By 30 I should have:
A high-paying job.
A house.
A car.
A partner.
Children.
Savings.
A perfect body.
A successful business.
International travel.
And complete emotional maturity.
Why 30?
Why not 33?
Or 37?
Or 42?
Human development is not a school examination.
There is no universal answer sheet.
Some people discover their profession at 20.
Others at 40.
Some marry early.
Others later.
Some build wealth quickly.
Others slowly.
Some change careers multiple times.
Some spend years caring for family before pursuing personal ambitions.
A timeline that works for one person may be completely wrong for another.
The Indian Family Dimension
For many young Indians, comparison is not only personal.
It is familial.
“Sharma ji's son…”
“Your cousin has already…”
“Your friend got selected…”
“When are you going to…”
These sentences may come from concern rather than cruelty.
Parents often compare because they are afraid their child will fall behind.
They want security.
They want stability.
They want their children to have opportunities they themselves did not have.
But constant comparison can communicate an unintended message:
“Who you are is not enough unless you outperform someone else.”
Young people need encouragement, but they also need psychological space.
A child should not have to become someone else's definition of success.
The Hidden Cost of Comparison
Constant comparison can create several destructive patterns.
Anxiety
You constantly feel that something is wrong.
Impatience
You want results immediately.
Envy
Someone else's success feels like evidence of your failure.
Burnout
You push yourself without recovery.
Risky decisions
You choose careers, investments or lifestyles simply to keep up.
Identity confusion
You stop asking what you want and start asking what looks successful.
Loss of gratitude
Everything you have becomes invisible because you are staring at what someone else has.
And perhaps the most painful consequence:
You stop experiencing your own life.
You are physically present.
But mentally comparing.
The Question We Should Ask Instead
Instead of asking:
“Am I ahead or behind?”
ask:
“Am I moving in a direction that matters to me?”
That question changes everything.
You don't need to be ahead.
You need to know where you're going.
A person moving slowly in the right direction may be better positioned than someone moving rapidly in the wrong one.
Build Your Own Definition of Success
Before chasing success, define it.
Not Instagram's definition.
Not society's definition.
Not your neighbour's definition.
Yours.
Maybe success means:
Financial independence.
A meaningful career.
Time with family.
Good health.
Creative freedom.
Service to society.
Spiritual growth.
A peaceful home.
Travel.
Learning.
Raising children.
Building a business.
Helping others.
Or some combination of these.
There is no universal formula.
The important thing is to consciously choose.
Because if you don't define success yourself, someone else will define it for you.
The Difference Between Ambition and Comparison
Ambition says:
“I want to become better than I was yesterday.”
Comparison says:
“I need to be better than you.”
Ambition can create growth.
Comparison can create endless dissatisfaction.
Healthy ambition is internally anchored.
Unhealthy comparison is externally controlled.
You can admire another person's success without turning it into evidence of your failure.
You can learn from someone without becoming jealous of them.
You can celebrate someone else's achievement and continue working on your own.
Their success does not reduce your possibilities.
Learn to Admire Without Comparing
Imagine your friend gets a great job.
There are two possible reactions.
Comparison:
“Why didn't I get that?”
Learning:
“What did they do well that I can learn from?”
One produces resentment.
The other produces growth.
The same is true with fitness.
Money.
Education.
Business.
Relationships.
Every person can become either:
a mirror that makes you feel inadequate,
or
a teacher who shows you what is possible.
The difference is how you interpret what you see.
Your Twenties Are Not a Deadline
Your twenties are often portrayed as the decade in which everything must happen.
But they can also be a decade of experimentation.
You may change your mind.
You may fail.
You may change careers.
You may move cities.
You may discover that your dream was not actually your dream.
You may lose relationships.
You may make new friends.
You may change your values.
You may become a completely different person.
That is not necessarily wasted time.
It is part of becoming an adult.
The purpose of youth is not to have everything figured out.
It is to develop the ability to figure things out.
What If You Are Actually Behind?
Sometimes you really are behind in a particular area.
Perhaps you have poor financial habits.
Perhaps your skills need improvement.
Perhaps you neglected your health.
Perhaps you wasted several years.
Perhaps you made poor decisions.
The answer is not denial.
The answer is perspective.
Ask:
What happened?
What can I learn?
What can I change?
What is within my control?
What is the next useful step?
Regret can become useful when it turns into information.
But regret becomes destructive when it becomes identity.
You made mistakes.
That does not mean:
“I am a mistake.”
A Better Way to Measure Your Life
Instead of measuring yourself against other people, periodically ask:
Am I healthier than I was a year ago?
Am I more financially responsible?
Have my skills improved?
Are my relationships healthier?
Do I understand myself better?
Can I handle difficult situations better?
Am I contributing something useful?
Am I becoming more independent?
Do I have more clarity?
Am I becoming kinder?
These questions measure development.
Not status.
And development is something you can actually control.
Build a Personal Scorecard
Once a year, forget everyone else.
Take a piece of paper and divide your life into areas:
Health
Career
Money
Relationships
Learning
Family
Mental well-being
Contribution
Fun
Then ask:
Where am I?
Where do I want to be?
What is one change that would make the biggest difference?
This is much more useful than spending an hour scrolling through someone else's achievements.
Because comparison gives you anxiety.
Reflection gives you direction.
The Courage to Move Slowly
Modern culture celebrates speed.
Fast growth.
Fast delivery.
Fast success.
Fast learning.
Fast careers.
Fast money.
But some of the most important things in life cannot be rushed.
Trust takes time.
Character takes time.
Expertise takes time.
Friendship takes time.
Love takes time.
Wisdom takes time.
Building something meaningful takes time.
A tree does not become strong because you shout at it to grow faster.
Neither does a human being.
Some forms of growth are invisible for years before they become obvious.
You Don't Need to Win Someone Else's Race
Perhaps the greatest freedom a young person can discover is this:
You are allowed to leave the race.
You can stop competing with people who are not even thinking about you.
You can stop proving your worth.
You can stop turning every achievement into a comparison.
You can stop asking whether your life looks impressive.
And start asking whether it feels meaningful.
That does not mean abandoning ambition.
It means putting ambition in its proper place.
Work hard.
Learn.
Build.
Earn.
Grow.
Dream.
But don't forget to live.
A New Definition of Success for Young India
Perhaps the next generation needs a broader definition of success.
Success is not merely:
How much did you earn?
It is also:
What did you build?
Whom did you help?
What did you learn?
Who did you become?
How did you treat people?
Were you present for the people you loved?
Did you protect your health?
Did you contribute something meaningful?
Did you live according to values you actually believe in?
A person can have a modest salary and an extraordinary life.
Another can have enormous wealth and profound emptiness.
Money matters.
Career matters.
Achievement matters.
But they are parts of life—not the entire definition of it.
The Generation That Learns to Stop Comparing Can Become More Powerful
Imagine a generation of young Indians that is ambitious without being consumed by comparison.
Young people who work hard without hating themselves.
Who compete without dehumanising others.
Who use social media without allowing it to define their worth.
Who celebrate success without worshipping status.
Who understand that failure is information.
Who recognise that different lives have different timelines.
Who can say:
“Your journey is yours. Mine is mine.”
That would not create a less ambitious generation.
It could create a more psychologically resilient one.
Because energy spent asking:
“Why am I not where they are?”
can instead be spent asking:
“What can I build from where I am?”
The Final Lesson
One day, perhaps years from now, you may look back at your twenties and realise something surprising.
You were not behind.
You were simply becoming.
The job you didn't get taught you something.
The relationship that ended changed you.
The exam you failed redirected you.
The business that didn't work gave you experience.
The years when nothing seemed to happen may have been preparing you for something you could not yet see.
Life is not a straight road.
It is not a leaderboard.
It is not a race where everyone starts at the same place, has the same resources and reaches the finish line at the same time.
So stop asking:
“Am I ahead?”
Ask:
“Am I becoming?”
Am I becoming wiser?
Kinder?
Stronger?
Healthier?
More capable?
More independent?
More courageous?
More useful?
More authentic?
If the answer is yes—even slowly—then something important is happening.
You are moving.
And perhaps that is enough.
Because the greatest tragedy would not be reaching the finish line late.
It would be spending your entire life running someone else's race.
Your life does not need to look impressive to be meaningful.
It needs to be yours.

No comments:
Post a Comment