FOMO Nation: Why Gen Z Is Terrified of Missing a Life It Doesn't Even Want
Let’s admit something.
Most of us don't actually want everything.
We don't want every party.
We don't want every trip.
We don't want every job.
We don't want every relationship.
We don't even want half the things we save on Instagram.
And yet the moment somebody else is doing something without us:
“Wait… am I missing out?”
Welcome to the most confusing psychological phenomenon of the Gen-Z era:
FOMO.
Fear Of Missing Out.
Or, in more accurate Gen-Z language:
“Everyone is living except me.”
Your Friends Are Out. You're Home. Suddenly Life Feels Over.
It's Friday night.
You're tired.
You actually wanted to stay home.
You ordered food.
You're in comfortable clothes.
You're watching something.
Peace.
Then—
Instagram Story.
Your friends are out.
Music.
Lights.
Food.
Laughing.
Someone is holding a drink.
Someone is taking pictures.
Someone captioned:
“Best night fr ЁЯШн❤️ЁЯФе”
And suddenly your peaceful evening has become a personal tragedy.
Five minutes ago:
“I'm so happy I stayed home.”
Now:
“Why was I not invited?”
Ten minutes later:
“Do they even like me?”
Twenty minutes later:
“Maybe I have no friends.”
Thirty minutes later:
“Should I go outside?”
Congratulations.
You have successfully allowed a 15-second Instagram Story to rewrite your opinion about your entire social life.
The Brutal Truth: You Don't Want Everything. You Just Don't Want to Be Excluded.
This is what makes FOMO so powerful.
Sometimes you don't actually want the experience.
You want the option to have the experience.
You don't want to go to the party.
You just don't want to know that there was a party you could have gone to.
You don't want the relationship.
You just don't want someone else to have the person you could theoretically have dated.
You don't want that job.
You just don't want someone younger than you to get it.
You don't want to travel every weekend.
But when your friend posts from Goa:
“Bro, life is unfair.”
This is not always about desire.
It's about comparison.
And research backs up the connection between problematic social-media use and FOMO, although researchers caution that much of the evidence is correlational and does not establish simple cause-and-effect. A 2024 meta-analysis covering more than 250,000 participants found a moderate positive association between problematic social-networking use and FOMO. (PubMed Central (PMC))
Basically:
The more trapped you become in the social-media comparison machine, the easier it becomes to feel like everybody else is somewhere you aren't.
Welcome to the “Everyone Is Ahead of Me” Olympics
Gen Z has somehow turned life into a competition nobody officially announced.
At 18:
“What college?”
At 21:
“What internship?”
At 23:
“What job?”
At 25:
“How much salary?”
At 27:
“Promotion?”
At 29:
“Marriage?”
At 30:
“House?”
At 31:
“Kids?”
At 32:
“Why haven't you started a startup?”
Bro.
WHO CREATED THIS SYLLABUS?
And why is everybody grading us?
One person is earning ₹2 lakh a month.
Someone else is doing an MBA.
Someone is travelling.
Someone got married.
Someone moved abroad.
Someone started a company.
Someone bought a car.
Someone is “building in public.”
Someone is “healing.”
Someone is “entering their 6 AM era.”
And you're sitting there thinking:
“Maybe I'm cooked.”
No.
You're just looking at 500 people's highlight reels at the same time.
FOMO Has Entered the Career Chat
This is where it gets dangerous.
One of your friends gets a job at a big company.
You were perfectly happy with your work.
Until now.
Suddenly:
“Should I switch?”
Another friend starts a business.
“Maybe I should become an entrepreneur.”
Someone starts making money from content.
“Bro, I'm wasting my life.”
Someone gets into AI.
“Am I already obsolete?”
Someone goes abroad.
“India mein rehke kya kar raha hoon?”
Someone clears an exam.
“Maybe I should prepare too.”
Someone becomes a creator.
“Should I start a YouTube channel?”
You are not building a career anymore.
You're playing career Whac-A-Mole.
Every time someone else's life pops up, you hit yourself with a new career plan.
The Side-Hustle FOMO Is Insane
Apparently one job isn't enough anymore.
You need:
A job.
A side hustle.
A startup idea.
A personal brand.
A newsletter.
A podcast.
A YouTube channel.
An Instagram page.
An investment portfolio.
A fitness routine.
A morning routine.
A skincare routine.
A reading habit.
And preferably a LinkedIn post explaining how you achieved all this before breakfast.
“5 AM. Gym. Meditation. Deep work. Read 20 pages. Built my SaaS. Closed three clients. Grateful.”
Meanwhile you woke up at 8:43.
Checked WhatsApp.
Scrolled reels.
Opened LinkedIn.
Got existentially destroyed.
Went back to sleep.
Honestly?
Relatable.
But here's the serious problem:
FOMO makes people confuse activity with progress.
Just because everyone is doing something doesn't mean it belongs on your path.
FOMO Is Also a Money Problem
This one hurts.
Someone gets a new phone.
You want one.
Someone buys a car.
You want one.
Someone goes to Dubai.
Suddenly your annual salary feels embarrassing.
Someone wears expensive sneakers.
Your perfectly fine shoes suddenly look like evidence from a crime scene.
Someone posts a fancy restaurant.
Your home-cooked dinner suddenly feels “basic.”
This is how lifestyle inflation gets emotional.
You're no longer buying something because you need it.
You're buying it because you don't want to feel behind.
A 2025 study of younger social-media users who follow influencers found that greater FOMO was associated with lower social, psychological and financial wellbeing in that sample. The researchers also found that influencer relationships could complicate that picture, so the relationship isn't simply “influencers = bad.” (PubMed Central (PMC))
The bigger lesson?
FOMO can make your wallet pay for an insecurity your brain created.
Dating Has Become a FOMO Battlefield
Let's talk about it.
Someone you know gets into a relationship.
Suddenly:
“Maybe I should start dating.”
Your friend gets engaged.
“Am I behind?”
Your ex moves on.
“WAIT. HOW?”
Someone is posting couple pictures every Sunday.
“Everyone has someone except me.”
Then you download three dating apps.
Swipe.
Swipe.
Swipe.
Swipe.
Delete app.
Reinstall app.
Swipe again.
Match.
Overthink.
Chat.
Ghost.
Recover.
Repeat.
The problem isn't dating.
The problem is treating relationships like another achievement category.
Job — checked.
Gym — checked.
Travel — checked.
Relationship — pending.
Please.
Humans are not Amazon orders.
There is no estimated delivery date.
FOMO Is Basically Anxiety Wearing Cool Clothes
We often make FOMO sound funny.
And sometimes it is.
But underneath it can be a deeper fear:
“What if everyone else is experiencing something important and I'm not?”
A 2024 scoping review of 106 studies found that FOMO research is still conceptually fragmented, but identified its central idea as an unpleasant feeling connected to missing social experiences and comparing one's activity with others. The authors also stressed that more causal research is needed. (PubMed Central (PMC))
That's important.
Because FOMO isn't simply:
“I want to party.”
It can be:
“I don't want to be forgotten.”
“I don't want to be left behind.”
“I don't want people to replace me.”
“I don't want to reach 30 and realise I wasted my twenties.”
Now we're talking about something much deeper.
And Social Media Has Turned FOMO Into a 24/7 Service
Earlier, you could miss something.
And that was it.
You didn't know.
If your friends went somewhere without you, maybe you'd hear about it next day.
Now?
You get LIVE coverage.
Story 1: Getting ready.
Story 2: On the way.
Story 3: Restaurant.
Story 4: Group photo.
Story 5: Someone dancing.
Story 6: “Core memory.”
Story 7: 2 AM.
You didn't miss one evening.
You experienced the entire evening from your bed.
And your brain is expected to remain chill?
Good luck.
Research published in 2025 found that seeing friends' social-media photos could intensify feelings of FOMO, while thinking about previous social connection could reduce those feelings in experimental work highlighted by the American Psychological Association. (American Psychological Association)
So yes.
Sometimes the problem isn't that you're lonely.
Sometimes you're just watching everybody else's social life in HD.
The Most Toxic FOMO: “I'm Running Out of Time”
This one is everywhere.
“Travel before 30.”
“Get rich before 30.”
“Build your body before 30.”
“Find your purpose before 25.”
“Become financially free before 35.”
Who decided human development has an expiry date?
You are not a packet of bread.
There is no:
BEST BEFORE 30.
Some people find their career at 21.
Others at 31.
Some marry at 24.
Others at 34.
Some build businesses at 19.
Others at 45.
Some travel extensively in their twenties.
Others spend those years supporting family.
Some people know exactly what they want.
Others need ten wrong turns to figure it out.
Life does not operate on a single timeline.
But Instagram loves pretending it does.
FOMO Makes You Say Yes to Things You Don't Even Like
Party?
Yes.
Event?
Yes.
Trip?
Yes.
Project?
Yes.
Networking?
Yes.
Random opportunity?
Yes.
Another commitment?
Sure.
And suddenly your calendar looks like it belongs to a government minister.
Why?
Because saying “no” feels like missing out.
But every yes has a cost.
Time.
Money.
Energy.
Attention.
Sometimes the most mature decision is:
“Sounds great. I'm not going.”
Not because you're boring.
Because you know what you want.
JOMO: The Underrated Gen-Z Superpower
There is another word worth knowing:
JOMO — Joy Of Missing Out.
And honestly?
We need more of it.
JOMO is not becoming antisocial.
It is not deleting everyone.
It is not becoming that person who says:
“I don't need people. I am enough.”
while secretly checking everyone's stories.
It's simply being okay with not participating in everything.
Your friends are out?
Good for them.
You're home?
Also good.
Someone is travelling?
Amazing.
You have work?
Fine.
Someone got promoted?
Congratulations.
You are still figuring things out?
Okay.
Someone bought something expensive?
Cool.
You don't need it.
Someone is getting married?
Bless them.
You're single?
Okay.
Someone is running a marathon?
Respect.
You walked 4,000 steps today?
Also progress.
The Real Flex Is Knowing What You Don't Want
This might be one of the most underrated forms of maturity.
Everybody talks about finding your passion.
Finding your purpose.
Finding your dream.
But sometimes adulthood begins with something simpler:
Knowing what isn't for you.
You don't want that career.
Fine.
You don't want that lifestyle.
Fine.
You don't want to party every weekend.
Fine.
You don't want to get married yet.
Fine.
You don't want to become an entrepreneur.
Fine.
You don't want to become an influencer.
Fine.
You don't want to live somebody else's version of success.
Excellent.
That clarity is worth more than another thousand motivational reels.
A Simple FOMO Test
Next time you feel that familiar:
“Bro, am I missing out?”
Stop.
Ask yourself five questions:
1. Do I actually want this?
Or do I just want to be included?
2. Would I still want it if nobody knew I did it?
Very important.
3. Am I choosing this because it fits my life?
Or because somebody else's life made mine feel inadequate?
4. What will this cost me?
Money?
Time?
Sleep?
Peace?
5. If nobody posted about it, would I still care?
If the answer is no...
You may not have desire.
You may have FOMO.
We Need to Stop Treating Life Like a Group Project
This might be the biggest lesson.
Your life is not supposed to look like everyone else's.
You don't need the same career.
Same salary.
Same relationship timeline.
Same body.
Same city.
Same house.
Same number of holidays.
Same number of followers.
Same definition of success.
You are allowed to have a weird timeline.
You are allowed to change your mind.
You are allowed to take longer.
You are allowed to miss opportunities.
You are allowed to choose peace over excitement.
You are allowed to be ordinary for a while.
And yes—
you are allowed to stay home on Saturday night.
Final Thought: You Are Not Missing Your Life
Maybe this is what Gen Z needs to hear more often:
You are not behind.
You are not late.
You are not failing because someone else got there first.
You are not wasting your life because you don't have everything figured out at 23.
And you certainly don't need to chase every shiny opportunity that appears on your feed.
Because here's the funniest part of FOMO:
You spend your entire life afraid of missing out...
and sometimes miss your actual life while watching everybody else's.
You miss the conversation happening across the table.
You miss the sunset because you're filming it.
You miss dinner because you're replying to someone online.
You miss rest because somebody else is “grinding.”
You miss your own progress because you're measuring it against someone else's.
You miss being present because you're busy proving that you're living.
So maybe close the app.
Take a breath.
Look around.
Your life is happening too.
No notification required.
No story required.
No audience required.
No caption required.
You don't need to experience everything.
You just need to experience your life.
And honestly?
That's probably the biggest flex of all.

No comments:
Post a Comment